How does studying MYP & DP help students to be prepared for competitive exams?
|Q. No.||Question||Where will you find the answer to this?||Your answer|
Middle Years Program Specific Queries
|1||What about MYP Curriculum? Has that been mapped to Indian boards?||Check Page 3, Summary here.|
Check Pages 60-71 in the Detailed Report here.
- The majority of the key principles and themes from the NCERT are included within the IB MYP.
- The NCERT and IB MYP both include similar mathematics topics within the secondary course, with the number and range being broadly the same.
- All of the key themes identified in the NCERT are included within the IB MYP. e.g. Inclusion of abstraction and quantitative reasoning, Exposure to experiences and modes of reasoning, Help students learn to become autonomous learners etc.
- The NCERT and IB MYP have a similar breadth and depth in terms of the number and range of topics studied.
- These points are applicable to all subjects of IB MYP.
- Both the CBSE and the IB hold similar principles to take a holistic approach to development and encourage individuality and the need to appreciate individual differences.
- Several main outcomes are also established by the CBSE and shared by the IB MYP including for learners to develop: language skills, conceptual understanding, technological skills, and understanding of other cultures and opinions.
|2||Is there evidence that suggests that the MYP is better preparation for the DP?||Check the conclusions of this report (page 4) here: ||Research findings:|
- Students with an MYP background were found to outperform students in IB DP compared to others.
- MYP students possess greater analytical and inquiry skills.
- MYP students’ report- and essay-writing skills as beneficial for the DP.
- Students who completed the MYP, the degree of confidence in how students believed they were going to perform in their final subject exam was positively associated with their final performance.
- MYP students generally indicated a higher frequency of engagement with Higher order thinking skills than Non-MYP.
- English writing skills developed during the MYP were indicated in particular as contributing positively to DP studies.
- Research, essay- and report-writing practice had also assisted them in the extended essay and in writing laboratory reports in science courses.
- MYP students are good at group work, discussion, interaction and collaboration with teachers and peers.
Diploma Program Specific Queries
|3||If IB Maths students gain credits at some of the top colleges (MIT, Stanford, Princeton) in the world, what does that say about the quality of the Maths curriculum of the IB?||Check pages 8-9 of the Maths Comparison Summary Report here:||Curriculum|
- It aligns with National standards of the country.
- Credits are given to the student who has scored 5 or higher or 6 or higher grade point in Mathematics HL.
- Real-life-based curriculum
- Students enjoy the subject.
- Technology and mathematics are integrated into IB.
- Students can build connections with other disciplines.
- Good breadth of study.
- IB Mathematics assessment system has multi-part, free response based assessment system where students construct their responses instead of selecting it.
- By constructing responses students are able to demonstrate their thinking and steps.
- Students are given credit for accurate methods used even if the final answer is incorrect. This helps IB provide a detailed account of student mathematical understanding and accuracy.
|4||What about DP Curriculum? Has that been mapped to Indian boards?||Details of the same can be checked on curricle here:|
- Yes DP curriculum has been mapped to Indian Boards like CBSE.
|5||What are the impacts of Diploma program on higher education of a student?||Click here to read more about research findings.|
Asia specific research
- DP students were significantly more likely than their A-level peers to attend a top twenty university in the UK and to receive a first-class honours degree according to a UK based research
- DP alumni were somewhat more likely to engage in further studies after completing university (HESA 2016)
- In Turkey, DP alumni also reported feeling well-prepared for university studies, particularly with regard to the use of English language skills and academic skills, such as writing and managing independent work
- A study by researchers from the University of Western Sydney, Australia revealed apparent gains in the use of an array of critical thinking skills between the two successive years of the DP
- Teachers and administrators in five case study schools in China were confident that the Diploma Programme (DP) provided first-rate university preparation, as a result of the breadth and rigour of the programme
|6||What documents does the school provide in case we want to shift to other schools or for college admission after 12th?||Check the list of documents that we provide for both purposes here:|
- Report card Nursery to grade 9 and 11.(The report card will be shared with the parents before the last PTC.)
- Report card grade 10 and 12(IGCSE/IBDP mark sheet and certificate will be given after result declaration (after we receive the same from the respective board.)
- Leaving certificate: Nursery to Grade 9 & 11 Leaving certificate will be given on the last working day of the student or on PTC.Grade 10 & 12 â€“ Leaving certificate will be given after IGCSE/IBDP result declaration
- Migration certificate: Migration certificate is issued by the board (IGCSE/IB) after finishing board exam. The certificate is used when you change your board. It states that the board has no objection to student appearing for examination for a different board. Migration certificate will be given after result declaration (after we receive the same from the respective board)
- Predicted grades: Grade 10 Predicted grades will be given on the basis of term 1/mock exam results depending upon the month of their application in another school.Grade 12 Predicted grades will be given as per the policy.
- Bonafide certificate: Parent has to fill â€œOther Certificate Request Form.
- Caste certificate (if required)
- Character certificate
- Eligibility certificate
- No objection certificate